Time: Today 4:00 Central Time
Location: Rose Bowl. Pasadena, CA
Notes and Story Lines:
Lincoln Riley vs. Kirby Smart: clash of the young coaches. Lincoln Riley (34) and Kirby Smart (42) are looking like the new faces of college football. Nick Saban can be retiring in the next few years, these two head coaches will be the fresh faces of college football. It will be interesting to see the high power offense from Lincoln Riley who is from the Mike Leach and Bob Stoops coaching tree vs. Kirby Smart who is from the Nick Saban coaching tree. This will be the first time ever these two programs have faced each other.
With the now Heisman and flamboyant QB coming into this game, Baker Mayfield of course will conjure up all the attention of this game. He is leading the number one offense in the country. Throwing 41 touchdowns and only 5 interceptions with a completion percentage above 71 he was head and shoulders the best player in the country this year.
The linebacking corp. from the University of Georgia is going to pose a lot of problems for the Heisman trophy winner. Roquan Smith has 113 tackles this year along with 5.5 sacks and 10.5 were tackles for loss. Smith is one of the best linebackers in the country. Mayfield has not seen a defense like this all year. Kirby Smart and defensive coordinator Mel Tucker are wizards in assembling these types defenses. This should really set the tone for the game.
Averaging over 6 yards a carry Nick Chubb, running back from Georgia, is going to be a headache for this average Oklahoma defense. If Georgia can control the time of possession, this can be a very long day for the University of Oklahoma.
Keys To The Game
has to score fast and set the tone early
- Momentum will be key in this game. Oklahoma is going to have to force Georgia to play their type of game in order to win this game.
Win turnover battle
- I know it is cliché, but turnovers are always the key to swing momentum and have more chances to score (OU has had no problem doing that this year)
- OU has not lost a fumble since October against Kansas State.
Make Georgia beat you through the air
- Stack the box and make the freshman quarterback beat you through the air. OU cannot let running back Nick Chubb beat them.
Control time of possession
- Having the ball longer will keep Baker Mayfield off the field, which bodes well for Georgia for obvious reasons.
Kirby Smart has the better all around team. I cannot see Oklahoma winning this game. Today the best college teams are the teams that have the nastiest defenses and Georgia is one of them. I think Georgia will dominate the time of possession and win this game by 10. Georgia 23 Oklahoma 13